The Plus One podcast - educators inspiring educators! Join host Joe Houghton as he interviews innovative and creative educators from a variety of fields, disciplines and educational backgrounds, and explores their approaches to teaching and learning. Learn actionable tips to apply to your own teaching practice from educators who are there doing it for real!
Sunday Jun 27, 2021
Video Episode 11 - Dr Stephanie Doscher on making global learning universal
Sunday Jun 27, 2021
Sunday Jun 27, 2021
We discuss genetic makeup, nature vs nurture, teaching exposing you to different perspectives, layers of diversity. Education giving us curiosity, agility, enquiry. Having a terrible memory, and following your nose… The opportunity to give global perspective education without travelling. The process of discovery through writing… refining the thinking, taking away the words, focussing the ideas… Taking ideas from different disciplines and applying them to education, and contributing to the dialogue, to the idea generation. We explore the process of matchmaking which Stephanie facilitates through COIL, the skeleton protocol that educators and students plug into. Icebreaking experiences,
Stephanie’s Plus One is icebreakers – exploring perspectives and leading into the collaborative task/experience. Designing tasks with power equality, which requires everyone, and how are ideas exchanged and connected. Directing students to connect all their ideas to co-create the outcome, and then mindfully reflecting on the outcome, because the learning happens in the reflection.
“Collaboration doesn’t happen by default – it happens by design”.
“Your way of seeing things is not the only way, and we can benefit from seeing things differently.”
Getting to “The leanest, meanest way to say the thing”
“It’s not about what to think, but how to think”
“Global learning is a process that involves diverse people… in collaborative efforts… to understand, analyse and address complex problems that transcend borders.”
- Stephanie’s book – “Making Global Learning Universal” - https://www.stephaniedoscher.com/book/
- The Making Global Learning Universal podcast – hosted by Stephanie - https://globallearningpodcast.fiu.edu/
- Season 2 Episode 4: Tara Harvey on the Relationship Between Intercultural Learning and Global Learning - https://globallearningpodcast.fiu.edu/season-2/episode-4-tara-harvey/index.html
- Season 2 Episode 9: Daniel Griffith on Intergroup Dialogue - https://globallearningpodcast.fiu.edu/season-2/episode-9-daniel-griffiths/index.html
- Florida International University - Collaborative Online International Learning COIL - https://global.fiu.edu/for-faculty-staff/coil/
- https://www.23andme.com – genetic testing online
- “You’ve got to be carefully taught” – South Pacific (1949), sung by James Taylor - https://youtu.be/RvpyKWvdmWI
- Julian Treasure – TED talk – 5 ways to listen better - https://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_5_ways_to_listen_better
- Montessori - https://montessori-ami.org/resource-library/facts/biography-maria-montessori
- Margaret Wheatley - book called LEADERSHIP AND THE NEW SCIENCE. She created the idea of "Warriors for the Human Spirit." https://amzn.to/3zXO5ZT
- Doreen Starke-Meyerring, who innovated the idea of globally networked learning in the book DESIGNING GLOBALLY-NETWORKED LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS: Visionary Partnerships, Policies, and Pedagogies. https://amzn.to/3A5dLUg
- Scott Page – Wharton Professor – How Diverse Teams work – podcast episode - https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/great-teams-diversity/
- His book “The Diversity Bonus” - https://amzn.to/35V01h7
- NAFSA – Association of International Educators - https://www.nafsa.org/
- AIEA - The Association of International Education Administrators - https://www.aieaworld.org/
- EAIE – The European Association for International Education - https://www.eaie.org/
- SEITAR – Society for Intercultural Education, Training & Research - https://www.sietareu.org/
- Gabriel Hawawini – INSEAD - https://www.insead.edu/faculty-research/faculty/gabriel-hawawini defined internationalization as “It’s about connecting the institution and the people in it to the world’s knowledge exchange and production network”
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.